An Open e-Library for Engineering Entrance Exams in India.
some boubts in physical chemistry
  • Hello. I have some doubts.

1. What is the basic difference between electron gain enthalpy and electronegativity?

2. Identify the group having metal, non-metal, liquid as well as gas at room temperature.

3. Among B and Si, which is more non-metallic?

4. The compound AgF2 is unstable. However, if formed, it is strongly oxidising - why?

5. Though alkaline potassium permanganate and acidic potassium permanganate are both used as oxidants, yet in the manufacture of benzoic acid from toluene we use alcoholic potassium permanganate as an oxidant. Why?

6. When concentrated sulphuric acid is added to an inorganic mixture containing chloride, we get colourless pungent smelling gas HCl, but if the mixture contains bromide, we get red bromine vapour. Why?

7. Why does the reductant THIOSULFATE react differently for I2 and Br2?

8. Why does the following reaction occur?

XeO6-+2F - + 6H+ ------> XeO3 + F2 + 3H2O

What conclusion about the compound Na4XeO6, can be drawn from the reaction?

A quick reply would be highly appreciated. Thanks
  • 4 Comments sorted by
  • 1. Electron Gain enthalpy is the enthalpy change when an extra electron is added to a gaseous neutral atom to convert it into a negative ion.

Electronegativity is the ability of an atom to attract the shared pair of electrons towards itself in a chemical compound.
  • 3. Among B and Si, which is more non-metallic?

B is more NON METALLIC

I hope!! ;-)

am I correct?!
  • Well gagan r u sure that it METAL non metal liquid gas combi? as we all know that liquid elements r only in group 17 [Br] and group 12[mrecury] and 17 is a all non metal group and 12 an all metal group :?:
  • yea....Jhumu is correct, gagan can u check the rephrase the question please

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to ask questions, login using your Google or Facebok IDs!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion

This is a beta version of the new KnowledgeBin.org. Please provide your feedback here: http://bit.ly/knowledgebin

Share Me

• Please share this topic with your friends. Click any of the icons below:
  • stumbleupon
  • Twitter
  • facebook
  • myspace
  • technorati
  • reddit
  • fark
  • email

Top Posters