PROPERTIES OF DINITROGEN
1. N2 is colourless,odourless,tasteless gas
2. N2 is not poisonous in nature but animals do not survive in its atmosphere due to absence of oxygen
3. N2 is either combustible nor supporter of combustion.
4. N2 is chemically nor supporter of combustion.
5. N2 + O2 2NO (rxn. is used in birkland- eyde electric arc process for manufacture of HNO2)
Fe(MO) 400 - 500'C, 200-ATM
6. N2 + 3H2 2NH3(Haber _Bosch process for manufacture of HNO2)
7. N2 combines with metals at high temperature to form nitrides.
a) Among alkali metals Li directly combines with N2 to form Li3N.
b) 3Mg + N2 Mg3N2
c) 2Al + N2 2AlN
8. N2 combines with non - metals like B,Si at red heat to form BN(Inorganic graphite) and Si3N4
9. N2 + 3Cl2 2NCl3(explosive).
HIGH TEMP.,HIGH PRESSURE
10. CaC2 + N2 [CaCN2 + C](nitrolium)
11. CH_=CH + N2 2HCN